You hear so much about the importance of social media as a marketing tool, but most influencers will tell you that the most important marketing channel where you should be focusing your time is actually email. Why? Because any social platform that you don’t own can change algorithms or go away at any time (hello Vine and Facebook) but your email list is yours – you have those addresses and regardless of platform, you have a means of communicating with an audience that has opted in to hearing from you. It is easy to understand WHY email is so important, the harder part is HOW to grow a list.
First and foremost, it is important to remember it is a slow, consistent process. And it is also important to remember quality over quantity. Trust me, you would rather have 100 raving fans who would purchase from you then 1,000 random people who are not a fit for your business!
Here are a few tips for building your email list:
- Create a freebie opt-in (known as a “lead magnet”) that is valuable, provides your best content or a special offer, and is relevant to your ideal target market. In this day and age, most people aren’t going to give you their email address without some sort of incentive. But, they will give you their email address for valuable info or a special offer. Create a one page pdf, video series, ebook that is free to download when they provide their email. Or if you are a product based business or retailer provide a big discount or coupon if they provide their email address. Include this lead magnet on your site and tease it on social media.
- Have multiple email capture boxes on your site. I have a more “generic” box on my top nav that says “enter your email for entrepreneur inspiration”, I have a pop up box when you first land on my site that provides my lead magnet of a 3 part series on networking tips, and I often offer a link to sign up for my newsletter in my blog posts. Give people multiple reminders and areas to enter their address, particularly on the pages where you are providing your best value.
- Speak at in person events. When you are an effective speaker and again, providing value (in person) it is one of the best opportunities to build your email list. In your talk, you should provide multiple reminders to people to follow you or sign up for your newsletter and you should tease your lead magnet or freebie. Every person I encounter after a presentation, I ask if they want me to follow up via email with more tips, and I take their card, and add them to my email list. This has been one of the most effective ways for me to slowly build my email list. (this does not mean you add every person who give you their card to your list – only those who have indicated or responded that they are interested in receiving your emails).
- Become a guest on others’ platforms. Guest blog, guest FB Live, podcast guest … these are all opportunities to get in front of a new audience and again tease a valuable lead magnet that provides incentive for people to give you their email.
- Email capture field on your Facebook Page and/or Facebook Group. One of the most effective email capture methods that I recently implemented was to add a sign up form that people had to fill out before entering my Mompreneur Tribe Facebook Group. I ask their name, business, location so I have a better understanding of who is in my Tribe and then I ask them to provide their email for more tips and resources – it is an optional field that people can bypass if they would like, but 75% of new members enter their email.
You can click here to opt in to my lead magnet and receive my 3 part networking series and email newsletter – it might give you ideas on how to do for your biz and you’ll start to get weekly tips and resources straight to your inbox!