At last week’s meetup blogger and influencer Angelica Talan shared amazing tips on Instagram, working with influencers, and social media. I share a brief recap of some of Angelica’s best tips below. Head over to the MompreneurTribe for more highlights from Angelica’s talk!
- The best way to build an Instagram following? Counter intuitive but it is to get out there and network in person. The more that you get out there and meet people in person, speak in front of people, make connections with people – the more people you can tell about your Instagram and connect with on Instagram. Don’t be afraid to bring up your Instagram (especially when you are giving talks) and encourage people to find you on Instagram.
- Angelica tries to take out 20 minutes each day to explore new people and connect with people on instagram. That is the only way to really build a following and you have to take the time to do. Most of the Instagrammers with tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of followers spend multiple hours a day engaging and connecting with others on Instagram.
- Look up hashtags that are of interest to you or are in your industry and comment on posts that seem interesting (ie #mompreneur , #professionalorganizer, #mombosslife ) .
- Make sure that when you mention people (ie @anjvarma) in your post that you are tagging them as well. And make sure people are doing same for you. Mentioning doesn’t do anything but tagging can help you to raise up in the algorithm and for you to get discovered more. Tag yourself in your posts – that helps to raise your profile as well.
- Use all 30 hashtags in your post and use multiple hashtags in your stories
- Stories are a great way to engage with your audience, show behind the scenes and take your followers along with you. Follow people’s stories who you admire or are in your industry to get ideas of how you can leverage this channel effectively. Stories do disappear after 24 hours.
- Your grid and the quality of the images in your feed DO matter. People want to scroll through images that are pretty and curated, so make sure you are only posting nice images. And take time to create compelling captions – people read the captions and comment and like captions as much as images.
- Working with influencers can be a great way for you to get the word out with a new target audience. Sponsored influencer posts can cost anywhere from $250-$2500+. Make sure the influencer represents your brand, has an engaged following, and has a similar target audience. Research their feed and blog to see how they have worked with others and whether their followers listen and engage to their recommendations.
- You can search by hashtags to find influencers (ie #dcblogger #dcinfluencer) – most in this industry will utilize these common hashtags.
At every meetup attendees introduce themselves and also share their fave resources to manage their business and personal life. Resources recommended by attendees this meetup included:
- Success of Science Podcast
- Buffer – scheduling social media posts
- The Betches podcast
- Story Art app – create prettier Insta Stories